As we near the end of 2013, you’re probably wondering what the new year will bring and how to prepare yourself and your brand. Based on digital marketing trends, here are our top 6 pieces of advice to help you make the most out of your 2014 digital branding.
Digital Marketing Tips
- Make your brand transparent. Old-school thinkers still balk at the idea of being completely up-front with consumers because they feel that consumers prefer brands that are perfect, or at least appear that way. Due to the speed of communication and consumer interaction, that perfect veneer gets easily chipped. It’s important to become more transparent, regardless of what brands want. As a marketer, it’s your job to be proactive. Take ownership of the transparency and use it to your advantage by making your digital branding accessible and human (which are very powerful traits these days).
- Multiscreen experiences are real. We’ve all been talking about “The Year of Mobile” for, well, years now. It’s not about “mobile,” it’s about multiscreen experiences. Customers and prospects should be able to interact with your brand at any point of their day on any device, for any reason. A barrier to interaction is a lost sale.
- Content marketing is about images. Content is king and visual content is the supreme ruler of the universe. Images and videos are much more powerful for sharing than plain text. Social powerhouses like Facebook are more heavily weighing content that’s visual because it’s more interesting and appealing. Try to think about creating your content as visual first and written second. (Hint – video is the most effective visual.)
- Think about the value trade. You want something from your customers and prospects, and the best way to get it is by providing something of value in return. Think about your clients’ pain points and give them something that makes their lives easier. It doesn’t have to directly relate to your brand, it just has to be useful (e.g. relevant content!).
- Be flexible. With the number of channels, tactics, and market forces multiplying and iterating faster than ever, it’s essential to develop a comfort with leaving things incomplete. Campaigns cannot be perfectly planned, developed, and executed in an environment where digital marketing trends change every day. So, reach marketing Zen – live in the moment and iterate as needed. It will not only keep you sane, but also improve your results.
- Use your agency as a consultant. Your agency is the best place to go to for ideas about how to achieve your business goals. Any agency worth its salt will be able to help you connect data systems for better customer info, develop analytics for helpful insights, and come up with ideas that maximize your budget and allow for experimentation.